The Detective Bureau is tasked with the responsibility of conducting criminal investigations, following up on investigations started by the Patrol Division, conducting background checks for various purposes, and overseeing the firearms identification card and purchase permit application processes.
- Click on the following link: www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars
- Complete the online application. West Caldwell's ORI # is NJ0072100.
- Once the application is complete, you will be prompted to complete either a 212A form or you will be provided with a fingerprint form. If you receive a fingerprint form, you must print the form and bring it to your fingerprint appointment.
- After submitting the application, contact the West Caldwell Police Detective Bureau to make an appointment to verify your address as well as to pay the mandatory application fees. Your application will not be processed until you have paid for the FID Card/Pistol Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per NJAC 13:54-1.4. Payments may be made by cash, check, or money order. Please have exact change if paying in cash. Make checks or money orders payable to "Township of West Caldwell." If paying by check or money order, write your FARS confirmation number on the check/money order.
- The application fee for an initial Firearms Identification Card is $5.00.
- Each Permit to Purchase a Handgun is $2.00.
- You will receive periodic email updates throughout the process. Please do not contact the police department for updates. You will receive notification in the mail that you card/permits are ready for pickup from the West Caldwell Police Department.
- This online application is applicant-driven. Please ensure that you have entered all your information correctly and that you provide the best phone numbers and email addresses for you and your references. Any missing or incorrect information will significantly delay your application.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questionnaire. Please advise them to complete the questionnaire immediately to progress your background investigation.
If you have any questions, please contact the West Caldwell Police Detective Bureau.