Fire Prevention Bureau

“FAQs” (Frequently Asked Questions)

Q: I am selling my home and I need to obtain a Certificate of Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Detetector Compliance. How do I get it?

A: In order for us to issue a Certificate of Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Detetector Compliance, we need to perform an inspection of your home to determine the proper location and operation of smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and a fire extinguisher, as required by the NJ Uniform Fire Code. In order for us to make this inspection you must complete an application with a payment of $35.00. Inspections are performed daily on a first come, first served basis.   Prior to your inspection, we strongly suggest that you review our Inspection Preparation Checklist.

Q: How often should I change the batteries in my smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors?

A: Batteries should be changed at a minimum of once a year. The West Caldwell Fire Prevention Bureau recommends replacement twice a year and suggests that a good way to remember is to change your batteries when you change your clocks for the beginning and the end of daylight savings time. “Change Your Clock, Change Your Batteries”

Q: Should smoke detectors ever be replaced?

A: It is recommended that smoke detectors be replaced every 10 years.